Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yard Sales According To: Me

I have never really found my niche at yard sales.... now I do love a good deal and I have been none to go to "junk" stores and frequent re-use it shops... but going to yard sales has always been hard for me..
first of all I think maybe I am kinda rude... seriously who would try and sell a wooden bench for 50.00 at a YARD SALE?

I know what price I am looking for and i have VERY specific taste... I usually feel like it is a waste of time... I am NOT looking for clothing... i am NOT looking for toys... I am not interested in anything form the 70's 80's or 90's... I am looking for old stuff... what I have learned is that I don't need to bother going to yard sales in big developments.. their stuff is never old enough...I need to find houses where the residents are more "mature"

I love how rusty and untouched this old thing is... I found it  last year at an Amish man's farm sale... I just love it! he had more and I wish now I would have gotten more. To think about the history an object can have...


these chairs I found this weekend... just driving down the road (on our way to get ice-cream) and we passed a house with a bunch of fun chairs outside... I got all excited but husband really didn't want to stop (he knew he would have to deal with me getting annoyed for example : the bench I kinda... maybe... almost... liked for 50.00! humph)  he compromised with me and said if they are there on the way home we can stop.... right away he asked me how much I would pay for that kind of a chair in good condition.. (my good condition = not falling apart too much and only needs a little wood glue)... I said about 10-15.00...

they were 10.00 for the "pair" they are not exact... but I think they look great anyhow... I love caning... I am kinda a sucker for it... not sure if they will stay like this or if I will paint them... but for now they were a great addition for my dinner party!
but that wasn't all he had there... he also had this great chair.. it was super sturdy and had great character... I wanted it BAD.. how much would you pay for that chair? how about 4.50... YES please :)....
 (please pardon the loooooong grass it has been raining her a lot)
 Maybe it was because I liked his stuff... but he was telling me about his different sales and how much fun he has when people stop by I <3 older gentlemen...
 when I got home I flipped the chair over and saw a tag on the bottom for 75.00! and the business card from the place where the chair had been professionally refurbished ... would i pay 75.00?......... so I hit my mark 14.50 for the bunch and I would not be happier!

I am still not a huge fan of yard sales... and these are the ONLY items I have ever gotten from them... but honestly I can say that I needed chairs (for my dinner party) and they were provided to me even within my price range... I may joke about price, but I know that God provides for everything... its not how awesome I am at finding deals it is how AWESOME God is at providing everything I need.

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26

No comments:

Post a Comment