Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The evolution of a book shelf

I Love Free Stuff... no matter where  it come from freecycle or family..
when we moved into our "new" house didn't quite have enough furniture... my Aunt and Uncle were cleaning out there home office and getting new furniture.. they asked it I would be interested in there old stuff... OF COURSE I was.. They had two 5 tier book shelf.. I only took one (I should have taken both... )
It was not a color that I really liked, it was med to dark brown veneered fiberboard...
the very first thing I did when we got home was paint it..

(a very bad picture I know.. I never took a good one of the book self.. I guess I was never to happy with it)
I threw on a coat of off white paint and distressed the edges.. It worked, I changed the shelves a little to store toys and a small tv for the kiddo's in the playroom...

it was our main source of storage in the playroom for almost 2 years.. BUT we outgrew it... mostly because this Christmas Connor got a Wii and we brought the old TV down out of the attic for the playroom...

Playroom today


What the playroom usually looks like
It was banished to the basement... It was supposed to look distressed... But after being in the play room it was VERY distressed...
Connor made a comment the other day that he would like a book shelf in his room... I was in the mood for a project ... I remembered the book shelf in the basement... I pulled it up the basement stairs... and up a second flight to Connor's room... in doing that I "distressed" the paint even more! haha sooooo.. I just couldn't leave it as it was. I attempted to paint "racing stripes" like the ones on his rug.. But I didn't like it...
So I thought chalkboard paint would be fun.. and it was! Connor is always asking to paint and decorate things... I have chalkboard paint on his dresser drawers... But he does not have too much room to decorate... so the large open area's on the shelf are great.. I love children's art!
 Connor's always messy room... yes that is a random cinder block as a night stand... I thought it was boyish...


 I like reusing things I already have and giving them a new purpose... like the old ladder for Connor's bunk bed... the cinder block night stand and the book shelf that has changed ALOT in 2 years..from playroom to banishment in the basement.. to new life in Connor's room.  The total cost of this project was $14.00 that was for the cost of paint... and I still have a bunch left over so I think Riley will get something done in his room too...

-Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment