Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dining Room Table re-do *updated*


I have been talking about wanting a new table since.. well since we moved into a house with it's own dining room! 
Because I was having Christmas at our house this year I felt an urgency to get a new table... and I wanted to buy a new table till I found out what I wanted was about $900.00.... so I thought I would make one out of wood... BUT I really wanted one that would be adjustable.... I didn't always want it to be LARGE... and my father the woodworker cautioned me against using wood that wasn't "furniture grade" because it would expand and it may crack... SOOO I thought about having someone make me a table, BUT in the end I needed wanted it before Christmas so I didn't have time for someone to make it, paint it or stain it for me. I got a tip from my Mother that there was a sturdy table at a local re-use- it shop and I should get it... so I did the finish was old and yellowish... yuck ... there was some ugly trim along the sides... and some odd pattern with the wood grain on top... but I liked the "chunky"legs and I had an idea in my head that this could work for me...
 I took it home and used it for Christmas "as is" and I couldn't wait to tear it apart and get to work on it... SOOO as soon as Christmas was over I started taking off the trim... It was not pretty...



I did some of the work inside where it was warm.... and some outside in the cold, cold garage...


I made a dusty, dusty, MESS!! but once I started taking off the trim I could not stop....
We removed the Legs one of the first things... and we spray painted them black... Husband built a rig to hold the legs so we could spray all sides of them... I used Rustoleum black in a satin finish


This is a picture from my cold, cold garage workshop... I had just put wood conditioner on the table top

I actually did two coats of stain I got a little excited in the beginning and I think I wiped it off too soon... I am always rushing projects along...


Here is a good look at the table from the side ....


Well that's it for now.. I am waiting 24 hours for my final coat of polyurethane to dry, then I am going to remove all the tape and attach my legs and use my "New" dining room table!... More pictures to come WHEN I finish... BUT I know some people have been wanting pictures of my progress so here they are....

Here is a picture of my finished table (small: I don't have the leaf in yet)  and of course I am thinking about new projects...the China hutch... that would look better black right? I may even stain it to match the table... OR maybe the floor... How I would LOVE to sand/ strip, fix, and stain the floor... Messy, Messy, Messy...

No comments:

Post a Comment