Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Real Moments: Riley

Bible time before bed last night I was reading to Riley from a book given to me by my Grandma and Grandpa Heatwole Christmas 1984....
I let him flip through the pages till he see's a picture that interests him and that is how we start... maybe not the most efficient... or the "best practice" BUT I am once again giving him a choice and it works for us.

The picture that caught his eye was a picture of the crucifixion... three almost naked men on a cross... He pointed to Jesus and asked "what's dis?" I explained that it was Jesus on the cross.
He asked again so I explained again.... then I read him the study... in the study it explained that Jesus had his hands and feet nailed to big pieces of wood so he would die. It asked what would it feel like if you were hanging their with nails in your hands. It explained that Jesus was punished for your sins and he died because he loved you. Really really heavy stuff! Riley (2) kept looking at his hands and said "nails in it?" "nails in it" I answered yes and explained that that was not the end of the story and that after 3 days he came back, and he is heaven today and waiting to be in our hearts... again Heavy Heavy stuff!.. he seemed really intent and listened to what I was saying... I asked him if he loved Jesus   he simply said "No I love you"

In our world today we censer everything.. from the politically correct to the violence rating... did I feel like I should do the same with this story? after all he is only 2 years old.... I felt like the honesty of the statements made in the book the story seem.....well.... scary.... did I feel like I needed to change it? yes, did I feel like I wanted to cover their almost naked bodies, and sugar coat the fact that Jesus was tortured and then killed while people watched and laughed.. Yes I did but I couldn't... It was the truth and I don't like to lie to my children... no Santa in this house no way... If I lie to them about a thing like Santa how could I possible tell them the truth about a man who died and rose again... Riley didn't have nightmares... He seemed like the same healthy kid the next day.. We had a real moment... Riley hearing the story... and looking at his own hands.... making the connection...

I Love my little Man!
Yes that is a singing cupcake... Thanks Aunt Christina!!

No comments:

Post a Comment