Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Home Made Laundry Soap

I can't believe it has taken me this long to try it!
I finally made my 1st batch of laundry detergent.
It was my SIL who really gave me the kick in the butt to try it... she did it and loved it so I really had no excuse...
I I am ready to not spend my $ on laundry detergent anymore!
in case you haven't noticed laundry detergent is expensive.. my MIL pointed out to me that Tide is especially valuable and considered a "hi theft" item in the store she works in! I was a little shocked... but there have even been news reports on the subject! (Here) CRAZY! (NOT that I EVER bought Tide, but just saying)

I was browsing Pinterest and found a great pin for home made laundry soap (Here). I choose this one because of the simplicity!
I chose to do the powder recipe:
1 Bar Zote soap 
1 1/2 cup washing soda
1/12 cup Borax

I was able to find all of these products very close to one another at my local Walmart store

Most recipes called for Fels Naptha soap, but my husband has an allergy to Ivry soap so I looked a little harder and found that Fels Naptha has been called a skin and eye irritant. I found many people suggested ZOTE as an alternative, it is much milder on your skin and is safe for use with babies (so hopefully it will be safe for Husband). It is pink and has a soft sent, it is a low sudzing soap so it is safe for HE washer (which I have so I was sure to check)

I took the Zote and grated the entire bar intoa plastic container...
My Husband complains I am the messiest cook he knows... so true I even made a mess grating soap...
Then I added 1 1/2 cup washing soda and 1 1/2 cup borax
This was a recipe suggested by the Lewisville Love Blog
Whats great about making your won is you can add or omit an ingredient depending on the water in your area.
I learned by reading a BUNCH or recipes if you have hard water you may need more washing soda and Borax... so I may even tweak this recipe more if I find my laundry dingy.

And this is what the powered detergent looks like...

The instructions say to use 2-3 tablespoons for each load.

It took me about 5 Min. to grate the bar and mix everything together... SIMPLE!
and I have my first load in the washer now...

Price break down:
Zote soap: .97 (used all of it)
Washing soda: 3.24 ( used VERY little)
Borax: 3.38 (used VERY little)

10.83 for my first batch and I have about 10 more possible loads out of the Washing soda and Borax...  not too bad compared to Tide at about 10.00 a bottle.

~ Momma


No comments:

Post a Comment